Saturday, April 21, 2012


25 years later

Yesterday is deep in my memory as is 25 years of sculpting days. I can remember the first sculpture made of stone. It was a ballet slipper that was taken home to dance with my sister. Then came the bears, and more bears. They are my friends and family, simple and exotic, made in all colors of stone, bronze, pewter, and this winter clay!


The bears have given me flow and movement in a solid medium. I can then transfer the knowledge to figures, cats, and other animals, and teach others to see what I see in stone.

Sculpting for all these years has never been dull. I wake thinking of what I can do today. Weather is all important since I work outside. One-third of all rock is debris - stone makes dust – so I choose the stone that I see bears or other objects in to work first, and then plan the rest.


I get my stone from Vancouver BC, Canada, from the supplier of stone for the Inuit carvers. It is a smorgasbord of stone, every size and color and price. Wow! Does my imagination soar with all the potential. I have been lucky not to have any slowdown in my imagination. Only my body parts have kept me from my passion of sculpting. I think, dream and work in stone, clay and pewter.


I hope to improve my latest adventure of sculpted clay. My angels are starting to fly a little.

25 years goes by so fast. I sure hope I have another 25 to go.

Gail Geer

April 2012

No comments: